This easy, vegan, hearty dish combines the comfort of potatoes, with the light freshness of fresh basil and parsley, and the lovely redness of tomatoes and red spices. Serve with warm rustic bread to soak up the juices at the bottom of the baking dish.
Plan ahead: prep time is short, but for best results this dish may need about 2 hours in the oven, so get things started early.
- 7 medium potatoes, (preferably Yukon Gold) peeled and sliced
- 5 large tomatoes, sliced
- 4 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dry basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Dash of cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste (start with 3/4 teaspoon salt)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Garnish: (optional) ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C)
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, taste a tomato slice and correct seasoning as needed.
Arrange in a large, deep baking dish, and bake covered by tin foil for 1.5-2 hours, until golden, and potatoes are nice and soft. Remove tin foil 10 minutes before the dish is ready.
Garnish with some extra chopped basil.